11/11/2010

getting my designs ready for screenprinting




This a selection of screen shots showing the development of my poster by hand ready for screen printing. I really enjoyed getting back to basics and creating everything by hand, especially the typography. It isn't very often one gets the time and opportunity to create hand rendered type and in this instance got to work on my illustration skills as well. I have created two final designs to be printed onto acetate ready for exposure onto a pretreated screen. This is because i want to experiment with how I am going to create my final print. The first is the apron and type in perfect placement without the iconic 1950's housewife shape as I feel there will be a possibility to take this piece in a more mixed media direction by creating the shape from another material and screen printing directly onto this and the background. I think this approach could wield the best results in giving the crisp lines I am trying to achieve, using this screen will also give me the opportunity to try a stencil for the shape, giving me more opportunity for colour experimentation. Second design (without the apron) could also be used as the base of my poster, screen printed onto a recycled brown paper background and then my apron illustration stencilled onto that. If I am given the opportunity to use two screens then I will definitely be trying both approaches, however if that is not possible i feel the first design will be the most successful in giving me both ample opportunity to experiment and also a clean final design.

No comments:

Post a Comment