18/11/2010

Screen Printing - good or evil?







Going to print was somewhat of a nightmare for us, there were a few technical difficulties such as defective emulsion to coat the screens (we found that out the hard way, after 3 hours of work and waiting), a few blew fuses on the UV exposure box, and wet wet feet. But we got there in the end! Despite all the speed bumps or what felt like kicks in the face, it was a lot of fun and amazing to see my designs printed in the medium. I had to experiment with how I was going to complete my design, the solid lady shape that was to be printed onto had to have time spend on it to find the best solution. I tried a stencil first using ink/paint and a roller, then a paint brush but both these methods weren't what i wanted in texture and colour. I then took the negative stencil and used that for my first screen print experimentation and it really worked. I was relieved and rather chuffed at the effect, clean and really represents the concept I wanted to achieve. My design survived the screen print test, much to my relief, without loosing any legibility and detail which was a major aim of the brief. As a technique I can see why it is making a come back for low budget replicas of posters (you can get ten prints out of a single screen before it has be wiped and re-emulsioned) and if you have access to the facilities take advantage, its an effect that can not easily be replicated on screen but be aware although its great for printing off a design in a variety colours with the most fantastic tactile quality and relatively speaking it can be really cheap, what you will need is rather a lot of time and patience. If these two virtues are not your strong suit stick to the Epson and forgo the tactility, or you may kick something and really hurt your foot.

No comments:

Post a Comment