18/11/2010

One Day Brief - Sir Patrick Moore Personal Branding - Ideas and Development














We were given a one day brief to produce a business card, compliment slip and letterhead design for mock up to present to a 'client'. We were to conduct research on the client and come up with ideas, then develop an idea for presentation.
My client was Sir Patrick Moore. Luckily I knew exactly who Sir Moore was (after a quick google search to refresh my memory!) Initially I was a little 'WHAT!' but after two minutes I was totally up for it. I started off going through my collection of business cards I love, some of them are above on a mood board. (I love mood boards, they just get your synapsis popping) I then did a written mind map of iconic imagery associated with Patrick Moore and cracked on with getting some concepts down on paper. I then showed my concepts to my peers, explaining the thinking behind them and they pointed me in the direction of a couple that they thought, and I agreed, where the strongest. I then took those ideas straight into Illustrator and InDesign. I experimented with placement, layout, illustration styles, colour and format.
I really wanted to infuse contemporary elements with more traditional ones for this brief, I really felt that the use of a die-cut along side traditional typography using a heavy stocked textured card (business card and compliment slip) or hand made writing paper (letter head). I felt the best way to accomplish this (and to identify the most obvious imagery associated with Sir Moore) was to use an illustration of a monocle but die-cutting the monocle to make the business cards more interactive, and perfect for looking through to the 'sky at night' and in particular the moon, Sir Moore's first love in astronomy. This concept then lent itself perfectly to a quote from Sir Moore which I thought incredibly apt 'I was always fascinated by this place, I always thought it mysterious'. The monocle illustration alone wasn't enough me as a logo, I wanted to use his name but in a way that was apt to the concept and style I was working with. This was found in the form of his signature which I snaffled from his website, (I pentooled it to make it editable) I instantly loved the effect and how it sat with my over all concept.
Colour wise I wanted to convey luxury and tradition, I found this in the form of some beautiful hand made papers and card and my trusty metallic pantone colour book. I was really happy with the results and felt they quite aptly represented Sir Moore's personality.
I really enjoyed the reality injected into this brief, it was so refreshing to focus on the creative process in real time, talking about my ideas and the very quick thought process it requires was like a creative work out for my brain. I think this sort of brief should be a regular undertaking to mentally prepare us for what is to come and to keep us sharp.

No comments:

Post a Comment