14/12/2010

Stamp Development
















The above screen shots show the developments of one of my stamp designs and the origins of a couple of elements used frequently throughout most of the stamp designs. My entire design was based on the editing and amalgamation of two typefaces to form the basis of the collection with additions added in my own hand depending on the subject matter (verse of song).
The two typefaces were Porcelain (used for the numbers) and VTKS Deja Vu (elements used as additions). These are two typefaces I keep in my typeface collection and have always liked creating my own custom typeface as part of a design, I felt that this concept was an ideal situation to use this process and these typefaces.
I really wanted to create a contemporary collection of stamp designs with this brief and by realising this concept I feel I have achieved that. As part of the brief we were to research stamp design parameters in the UK which I was lucky enough to find in a live brief doing the rounds at the moment in the form of the RSA Student Awards Brief to 'inspire the nation with fashion classics and UK 'Firsts' in the form of Postage Stamps. This brief includes the national postage stamp design parameters and templates for all variations of stamp design.
(http://www.thersa.org/projects/design/student-design-awards/briefs/briefs/postage-stamps).
If I was to spend a little more time on this brief (which I will as part of my portfolio development in the next couple of months) I will pay more attention to colour development, experimenting with different colour combinations and test the designs in different sized stamps rather than the 35mm x 35mm I have used here. But for the time that was spent on this brief I am really happy with the outcomes and look forward to developing them a little more in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment